Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Edit Wikipedia

I've just learnt how to edit Wikipedia for my digital writing paper. It was so easy I find myself looking back on everything I read on there and wondering how much is really true. I had a turn editing my tutor Robert Sullivan's page. Unfortunately I missed class so didn't get the low down on HTML and all that because I had contracted the norovirus (or something similar) so I was bedridden for the last two days. Luckily I have a fair idea of what HTML is about so shouldn't be too lost next class. If you go down to the bottom of the writing style section in Roberts page you will see my edit is the last two sentences. Thank you. Thank you very much.

7 comments:

  1. It sure did. That's what happens when you wag class. Actually I think Wikipedia are on to it. They picked up all the high activity on Robert's page and came to investigate.

    With Wiki pages the information has to be factual with no emotion, and that is what they pulled you up on. You can't say things like "He likes writing. He really, really likes writing." You can say things like "Robert is inspired by...." However, you have to back up that information with reputable evidence such as an academic reference of sorts.

    Good on you for trying. At least you did get to set up your account and have a go at editing the page. And you've blogged about your experience. So yeah - A+.

    PS: No bringing germilitis to school please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I did my best and isn't it a fact that he likes writing?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the readers will get the essence by the books he has written and because he is a Lecturer for a Bachelor of Creative Writing course. I thought you did awesome despite not shown what to do nor the type of content required for a Wiki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Munro. I do indeed like writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true Munro, if its so easy for us to update wikipedia- then is the information we have been reading all these years really THAT reliable?

    ReplyDelete